turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Work is providing an online class, I build a computer and buy parts separate. Can I claim all the parts (about $2000) on my taxes?

So 1 of my 2 jobs is providing a class to who ever is interested, on intro into whatever trade fancies you (i.e. electrician, plumber). Now this is totally unrelated to my job and is actually an incentive to provide more people to the dwindling workforce we have in the trades. So the classes are online and in order for me to work on them I need a computer. Instead of buying one I chose to build one instead as it gives you more performance to your money and ended spending around $2000 in computer parts. Can I claim this on my taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Work is providing an online class, I build a computer and buy parts separate. Can I claim all the parts (about $2000) on my taxes?

computer parts for a computer you are building are not ordinary and necessary expenses of employment. It would not be deductible in any year.
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

If the work is performed as a subcontractor and you are reporting income on a schedule C then you can claim a deduction for your computer. However, if you are performing the work as an employee then you cannot claim a deduction. Please view the TurboTax FAQ below for more information.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300622

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies