turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ttuser1

A dependent had ITIN in 2015-2017. In 2018 he has received an SSN. Is it fine to submit 2017 taxes using his old ITIN, or new SSN should be used?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

A dependent had ITIN in 2015-2017. In 2018 he has received an SSN. Is it fine to submit 2017 taxes using his old ITIN, or new SSN should be used?

Use the new Social Security Number. Once a Social Security Number has been issued, the Social Security Administration notifies the IRS and that is the number they want you to use. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Use the new Social Security Number. Once a Social Security Number has been issued, the Social Security Administration notifies the IRS and that is the number they want you to use. 

cle9

Same scenario here, i used to enter ITIN, now am entering SSN and Federal rejected my online filing, saying it didnot match last year. What should i do ?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If the change was done very recently, the process of the Social Security Administration notifying the IRS may not have been completed. You can wait a week and try again, or paper-file and mail the return in to the IRS.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies