Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cwd520

I am filing for a deceased parent; filled form 1310; at the end of e-file, program asks for DL# - do i use mine or my dad's DL#?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I am filing for a deceased parent; filled form 1310; at the end of e-file, program asks for DL# - do i use mine or my dad's DL#?

Sorry for you're loss. Use the DL number of the person listed as the taxpayer on the 1040. That would be the parent, not you.
Depending on how long it's been since they passed, do not be surprised if your e-file attempt is rejected with an error of "SSN LOCKED". That just means that whoever handle the final arrangements of the deceased did their job. So the IRS has locked their SSN to prevent fraudulent use. If that happens, then you have to print, sign and mail it to the IRS, along with the 1310.
octys

If tax payer does not have a driver license or state-issued ID (or is deceased), you can indicate that on the return to ful?ll the ID requirement.
Carl
Level 15

Don't know for sure, with a deceased person. It's my understanding that no matter what, if a refund is due to the deceased person, then the living person that will receive the refund has to mail the signed form 1310 to the IRS with their original signature on it. I've never dealt with that myself, so I don't know if that's an absolute fact or not.
Now while there is an option to indicate no ID is available for the tax filer, I do know that tends to delay the refund. But you're dealing with a deceased tax payer. So it's going to be delayed anyway.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies