Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my son (2) and myself (24) live in the same home as my mother, who will claim head of household, can I still claim my son as a dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If my son (2) and myself (24) live in the same home as my mother, who will claim head of household, can I still claim my son as a dependent?

Follow this link to see if you qualify for Head of Householdhttps://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288637

The tie-breaker rules will apply when parents and other taxpayers have right to claim dependent. 

If the other taxpayer's AGI is higher than that of any parent for whom the child is a qualifying child, they may choose which one of them claims the child.

If both individuals claim the child, the parent has the superior claim.

If the other taxpayer's AGI is not higher than that of any parent for whom the child is a qualifying child, the child is treated as a qualifying child only of the parent; the other taxpayer may not claim the child even if the parent is willing for that taxpayer to do so.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Follow this link to see if you qualify for Head of Householdhttps://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288637

The tie-breaker rules will apply when parents and other taxpayers have right to claim dependent. 

If the other taxpayer's AGI is higher than that of any parent for whom the child is a qualifying child, they may choose which one of them claims the child.

If both individuals claim the child, the parent has the superior claim.

If the other taxpayer's AGI is not higher than that of any parent for whom the child is a qualifying child, the child is treated as a qualifying child only of the parent; the other taxpayer may not claim the child even if the parent is willing for that taxpayer to do so.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies