turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

masivo52

If my mother were to claim my child on her taxes and then doesn't want to give back my money, what would be the consequences for us both if I were to report her?

I am 18, living with my mom, who claimed my child on taxes. She does not support my child and I in anyway, except for putting a roof over our heads. I am a full-time student and have been unable to work this year. She told me that she is keeping all the money and plans on spending it on herself. I want my money because I was planning on getting an apartment with the father of my child, since he is the one who supports us. What would happen in I report her? Will I also get in trouble for allowing it? What are the consequences for us both?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If my mother were to claim my child on her taxes and then doesn't want to give back my money, what would be the consequences for us both if I were to report her?

The cost of putting a roof over your head counts as support.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you did not earn any income by working you are not eligible to receive any child-related credits at all. So claiming your child would be of no benefit to you. If your mom is putting a roof over your heads that is support.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You don't report anybody.
If you feel you are the custodial parent, then you will claim the child.
You'll have to file on paper.
IRS will investigate and determine who is right and who is wrong. that could take a year,
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies