Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jluisoo

If my girlfriend and i had a baby in 2018, and she is going to claim him. Do i need to say I had a child in my taxes, or do i not write anything at all?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

If my girlfriend and i had a baby in 2018, and she is going to claim him. Do i need to say I had a child in my taxes, or do i not write anything at all?

Do not write anything at all.  The interview is confusing (it's designed for divorced parents) and frequently leads to mistakes by unmarried parents living together.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If all of you live together but you are not married, then only one of you should put anything on your tax return about your child.  One of you just files as Single.  Which one of you had the bigger income?  You should actually try the tax returns both ways to see which way comes out better for who should claim him.  The one who paid over 50% of the household expenses could claim him and file as Head of Household.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jluisoo

Thank you!
Hal_Al
Level 15

Do not write anything at all.  The interview is confusing (it's designed for divorced parents) and frequently leads to mistakes by unmarried parents living together.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies