Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

If my daca social security expired do I put my ITIN # instead?

1 Reply
Intuit Alumni

If my daca social security expired do I put my ITIN # instead?


According to the National Immigration Law Center:

“Once you receive a Social Security number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration, you must use your SSN for tax-filing purposes and discontinue use of an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) if you had previously been issued one. If your work authorization is rescinded, your SSN remains valid for tax purposes, so you should continue to use your SSN for that purpose.

Note that this applies only to a valid SSN that has been assigned to you. You are required to file all your taxes under that single SSN going forward. It is important not to present false information on tax forms—such as filing the return with an SSN that was not assigned to you—since this could affect your immigration case in the future.”  [Emphasis mine.]

For more information, see Frequently Asked Questions on DACA Termination on the NILC site.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings