Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my business (LLC) loss money due to being a victim of fraudulent purchases (Individual using stolen credit cards to purchase merchandise), what are my options?

I received a quote request that appeared legit at the time and processed several transactions over a 3-month period. Turns out the card being used was stolen credit cards and all the transactions were disputed and overturned against me.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

If my business (LLC) loss money due to being a victim of fraudulent purchases (Individual using stolen credit cards to purchase merchandise), what are my options?

You don't get to deduct income you did not make if you were a cash based business (1)... you just have less income to report.   However,  if you use your bookkeeping records and enter ALL the sales made as income then you can deduct the amounts you had to refund back due to the fraud situation (2).  But you cannot report less income AND take the deduction of the "refunds" ... it is one or the other but not both.  

If your CC 1099-K reported all the sales then you must match that figure on the Sch C as income then take a deduction for the "returns" ... but if they netted out the returns from income you use the first option. 

1.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies