turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

whit831

I received a lawsuit settlement. If I gift my minor child $14,000 this year, do I still have to pay taxes on that as income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

I received a lawsuit settlement. If I gift my minor child $14,000 this year, do I still have to pay taxes on that as income?

Here are the IRS guidelines on which types of settlements are taxable:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4345.pdf

Gifting part or all of a settlement does not affect its taxability.

The IRS gift exclusion amount for 2018 is $15,000.  Gifts of $15,000 or less do not require filing of a gift tax return.

Gifts are not deductible by the donor, nor are they taxable to the recipient.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

See the answers to your other question asking the same thing.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4510451-how-can-i-avoid-massive-taxes-from-a-lawsuit-settlement-de...>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
whit831

The other question is more broad. But thank you SO much for all your help!
TomD8
Level 15

Here are the IRS guidelines on which types of settlements are taxable:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4345.pdf

Gifting part or all of a settlement does not affect its taxability.

The IRS gift exclusion amount for 2018 is $15,000.  Gifts of $15,000 or less do not require filing of a gift tax return.

Gifts are not deductible by the donor, nor are they taxable to the recipient.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Anonymous
Not applicable

if it is taxable, any amount gifted would still be taxable to you. 

Settlements are not always taxable, it depends on what it was for.  But if it is taxable, anything you do with the money after you receive it is treated as a separate event, and gifts are never tax deductible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies