turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter in that I have done a health care sharing ministry for 2017? I would really like to do that but it will not let me at all.

I am not asked if they had any situations that qualify for penalty.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I enter in that I have done a health care sharing ministry for 2017? I would really like to do that but it will not let me at all.

A "Health Care Sharing Ministry" is an exemption from the requirement to have health insurance, but is not considered health insurance itself.  

When you click on the "Health Insurance" tab at the top of your TurboTax software, you will choose the radio button for "None of us had it at any point" and choose Continue. Then you will be able to choose "Health care sharing ministry member"  under the heading "Wasn't required to get insurance."

If some members of your family had Health Care Sharing and some didn't, this same screen will come up after you select "I'll pick who had it and which months."  First you will see a screen to choose the months of coverage, and the next screen will offer the exemptions.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

A "Health Care Sharing Ministry" is an exemption from the requirement to have health insurance, but is not considered health insurance itself.  

When you click on the "Health Insurance" tab at the top of your TurboTax software, you will choose the radio button for "None of us had it at any point" and choose Continue. Then you will be able to choose "Health care sharing ministry member"  under the heading "Wasn't required to get insurance."

If some members of your family had Health Care Sharing and some didn't, this same screen will come up after you select "I'll pick who had it and which months."  First you will see a screen to choose the months of coverage, and the next screen will offer the exemptions.

I did the I'll pick who had it and which months and filled that out.  My next screen just says based on our situation the penalty has been waived.  Our current situation was the same last year and I would really like to be able to put in that I am a health care sharing ministry member.

Were all your family members in the sharing ministry for the whole year?  If so, choose "None of us had it at any point" and continue.  Then you will be able to choose "Health care sharing ministry member"  under the heading "Wasn't required to get insurance."

Remember, a health care sharing ministry is NOT insurance, so you did not have insurance if you were covered by a health care sharing ministry for the full year.

If it is saying your penalty has been waived, I suspect that you qualify for another penalty exemption that TurboTax automatically gave you.

When you print out your tax return (or look at the PDF), look for Form 8965.  On that Form, is box 7 checked?  Is there information in Part 3 of the form, and if so, what is in column "C"?

No box 7 is not checked.  And it put a check mark for me having a full year of coverage which is wrong.  Turbo Tax is not letting me enter in my information for this and it's frustrating.

Never mind I figured it out.  Sorry.  Column C is listed as G for our whole household.  My husband and 2 children have insurance and I am apart of a health care sharing ministry.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies