Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jiyo

If im pregnant can i claim as a dependent

im scheduled to be due next month
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NateL

You are not entitled to claim a child as a dependent exemption on your return until they have been born.  For example, if a child is born in February of 2014, you may be able to claim them as your dependent on your 2014 income tax return, assuming all other relevant criteria has been satisfied, but you would not be able to claim that same child as your dependent on your 2013 income tax return since the birth took place in 2014. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
NateL

You are not entitled to claim a child as a dependent exemption on your return until they have been born.  For example, if a child is born in February of 2014, you may be able to claim them as your dependent on your 2014 income tax return, assuming all other relevant criteria has been satisfied, but you would not be able to claim that same child as your dependent on your 2013 income tax return since the birth took place in 2014. 

Your baby will be your dependent on your 2014 return.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies