Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I stopped using a business vehicle before 7/1/2022 why won’t it let me enter zero miles.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

If I stopped using a business vehicle before 7/1/2022 why won’t it let me enter zero miles.

Try leaving the field for the second half of the year blank, without even entering a zero, since the vehicle was not used at all during the second half of the year.

There is similar guidance when a vehicle is placed in service during the second half of the year -- the field for miles in the first half must be left blank, without entering a zero, or an error message appears.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

If you have closed your self-employed business, you should file a final Schedule C this year. Don't delete anything. Instead, go through the TurboTax interview for the Business Profile. On the page "Tell us about your business," check the box for "I sold or disposed of my business," but not via a sale. Your carryover losses should be available to offset other income on your return.

Choose one date as the date you closed your business and use that for all questions about when you stopped.

Since you have a home office and vehicles, you'll need to report that you stopped using them for business as well. On any page for "Special Situations" or "converted to personal use," check the box for these options (no sale). 

Enter any income and expenses for the portion of the year when your business was active.

Schedule C will be included with your return this year but should not carry over to next year.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Try leaving the field for the second half of the year blank, without even entering a zero, since the vehicle was not used at all during the second half of the year.

There is similar guidance when a vehicle is placed in service during the second half of the year -- the field for miles in the first half must be left blank, without entering a zero, or an error message appears.

Ok that seemed to work but now it wants a QBI worksheet name/link.  Where do I find this? I had firm 8995 from last year.  Why didn’t it transfer over? I basically stopped being an independent r contractor so trying to get rid of all these carry overs etc.  

In addition to the QBI worksheet then it makes my risk really high because it now produced a schedule C etc.  Can I just delete my independent status along with vehicles & home office and not carryover any huge losses from the previous year?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

If you have closed your self-employed business, you should file a final Schedule C this year. Don't delete anything. Instead, go through the TurboTax interview for the Business Profile. On the page "Tell us about your business," check the box for "I sold or disposed of my business," but not via a sale. Your carryover losses should be available to offset other income on your return.

Choose one date as the date you closed your business and use that for all questions about when you stopped.

Since you have a home office and vehicles, you'll need to report that you stopped using them for business as well. On any page for "Special Situations" or "converted to personal use," check the box for these options (no sale). 

Enter any income and expenses for the portion of the year when your business was active.

Schedule C will be included with your return this year but should not carry over to next year.

It’s asking for my QBI wksht.  Why wasn’t this transferred from last year’s?

Why doesn’t it instruct you to just leave it blank? Or better yet accept a zero as also meaning blank. What the heck is the difference?  That should be simple coding for sure.  This year I found the program to be a bit frustrating to work through.  I did my return a second time (just to double check myself) and there were obstacles that came up that didn’t come up the first time when entering my 1099-NEC’s.  And, the first time I did not have any errors so it wasn’t asking me to fill in these new fields.  What if I hadn’t gone back and did my return a second time? It’s bad enough having to do this, but it’s alarming to find that it acts differently just about every time you go back in day after day until you feel ok to transmit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies