Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I received a 1099 MISC for $7000 for self employed and I am single. If I received a 1099 MISC for $7000 for self employed and I am single. Do I have to file a return?

If I received a 1099 MISC for $7000 for self employed and I am single. Do I have to file a return. I am confused because I read in some sites that if I earn less than $10,350 I don't need to file a return because it is less than the standard deduction. But I don't know if that apply to self employed with 1099.Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

If I received a 1099 MISC for $7000 for self employed and I am single. If I received a 1099 MISC for $7000 for self employed and I am single. Do I have to file a return?

Yes, you have to file a tax return. The $10,350 ($10,400 for 2017) filing threshold does not apply to self employment income.

You will not owe any income tax, because your income is below $10,400. But you have to pay social security and medicare ("FICA") tax on your earnings. The self employed pay FICA as "Self Employment Tax" (SET). SET is calculated on schedule (form) SE and is filed as part of an income return. 

You will owe $989 of SET, based on $7000 of self employment.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, you have to file a tax return. The $10,350 ($10,400 for 2017) filing threshold does not apply to self employment income.

You will not owe any income tax, because your income is below $10,400. But you have to pay social security and medicare ("FICA") tax on your earnings. The self employed pay FICA as "Self Employment Tax" (SET). SET is calculated on schedule (form) SE and is filed as part of an income return. 

You will owe $989 of SET, based on $7000 of self employment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies