Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I paid a contractor over $600 in 2019 and they are in Guatemala - do I still need to create a 1099 form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

If I paid a contractor over $600 in 2019 and they are in Guatemala - do I still need to create a 1099 form?

@gcoxusa , the purpose of the information filings such as 1099-misc to a contractor is (a) for the IRS to know that the contractor has earned an amount and (b) for the contractor to use this in his/her own individual return.  Thus it is  only applicable to US tax payers.

Your  post , however does raise a few other questions --  (a) are you US citizen/Resident/Resident for tax purposes ?  (b) Is you tax home in the USA or are you living in a foreign country ( Guatemala ) ?  (c) Or is this a case where you are residing in the  USA but are paying a local contractor in Guatemala to provide service to you for asset in Guatemala?  (d) Or, you are residing in the USA but had work done for you here by a person whom has returned to Guatemala ? Or (e)  ??

I ask because  where as, the 1099-misc usage may not be applicable  but there may other tax situation/issues here based on the answers to my questions.

pk 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@gcoxusa , the purpose of the information filings such as 1099-misc to a contractor is (a) for the IRS to know that the contractor has earned an amount and (b) for the contractor to use this in his/her own individual return.  Thus it is  only applicable to US tax payers.

Your  post , however does raise a few other questions --  (a) are you US citizen/Resident/Resident for tax purposes ?  (b) Is you tax home in the USA or are you living in a foreign country ( Guatemala ) ?  (c) Or is this a case where you are residing in the  USA but are paying a local contractor in Guatemala to provide service to you for asset in Guatemala?  (d) Or, you are residing in the USA but had work done for you here by a person whom has returned to Guatemala ? Or (e)  ??

I ask because  where as, the 1099-misc usage may not be applicable  but there may other tax situation/issues here based on the answers to my questions.

pk 

I did not see the original reply until now. I was in the process of entering my taxes in Turbo Tax when I posted the question ... which seemed to go off into Never-Never Land. I never could located the post, or the reply, as I did not see any links to this community on any screens. Very frustrating. Anyway, I will answer the questions for whatever that is worth.
- - - -
(a) are you US citizen/Resident/Resident for tax purposes ?
- - - Yes.
(b) Is you tax home in the USA or are you living in a foreign country ( Guatemala )?
- - - Yes, USA tax home.
(c) Or is this a case where you are residing in the USA but are paying a local contractor in Guatemala to provide service to you for asset in Guatemala?
- - - Yes, residing in USA, paying a Guatemala resident for work in Guatemala.
- - - and if that interests you here is a link: Tikal National Park Guatemala in 4K: https://youtu.be/vrgn9NQ2-0Y

Excellent questions. Thanks for reply.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@gcoxusa ,  first my apologies for the delay in responding --- please excuse.

Second, from your post what I gather is  you a citizen/resident( Green Card) / resident for tax purposes and being taxed on your world income, owned some property in Guatemala and where you paid an amount  over the six hundred  US$.  You now want to know if you need to report this payment to a citizen of Guatemala, whom performed work for you and in Guatemala.  The  answer is NO -- you do not report this to the IRS because  the recipient is not a US tax filer -- it local income for him/her and under the US Guatemala tax agreement, this is ONLY taxable in Guatemala.     Also note that this work that was done for in Guatemala is for a business where you derive income, you will have to file proper paperwork ( generally schedule C or Schedule-E ) and show  this payment as an expense against the gross income from such business ( whatever type it is ).

Does this make sense  and  does this help you in your filings.  If you need more help, just add to this thread.

stay safe 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies