bootz2016

If I own my home can I file for free or do I need to use the deluxe version?

If you intend to itemize and enter deductions for mortgage interest and property taxes you need at least Deluxe.  You cannot itemize using the Free Edition.

johnnytundra

Are you saying Turbo Tax Free Edition doesn't cover mortgage interest and property taxes? Because it just asked me for that information. Or is that a ploy to make you upgrade?

It suggests an upgrade as needed. However, it also checks to see if your itemized deductions exceed Standard. Some users start in Free, and then upgrade if required.