Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i owe taxes and want to pay thru IRS website but file electronically via TT, do I click the "I will mail it" button?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If i owe taxes and want to pay thru IRS website but file electronically via TT, do I click the "I will mail it" button?

In the File section on Step 2 when federal taxes are owed select that you will pay by mailing a check.  Complete and e-file the tax return.  Then do not mail a check.

Go to this IRS payment website to pay the federal taxes owed on the 2021 tax return - https://www.irs.gov/payments

i also selected Audit Defense and subsequently decided to not get it but the program will not let me de-select it. How do I take it off?

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Audit defense is part of the MAX benefits and you can remove it by following the instructions here: Can I remove MAX?

However, if you reside in California as long as you have not filed, here's how to first remove Premium Services and then pay by credit/debit card.  Do not pay by credit/debit card before you remove Premium Services, or it will still charge you for it. Here is the link to assist you with removing Premium services from your Turbo Tax return: How do I remove the Premium Services bundle?

@gjgogol

it takes me to a screen where i need to make a choice between credit card or deduct from refund. when i hit credit card it sends me to another site and wants my credit card number.  something doesn't sound right.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

You can choose the option to "mail it yourself" and then go to the IRS website here to make your payment.

@gjgogol

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies