silviavic96

If I mailed my Taxes but they got lost in the mail and the IRS never got them what do I do? It is way past the deadline and their page says I did not file.

DanPaul02

If the IRS owes you money, they don't care how late you are.   If you owe them money, then they charge a penalty for being late.

You can attempt to e-file the federal or just print and mail again.  Pay careful attention to the cover sheet that prints out with your return.  It will tell you what documents to include and the address to mail the return to.

Make sure that you sign the return in ink before mailing it.  Also take it to the post office and send it so that you get notification when it is delivered to the IRS.  Keep that with your tax records.

DanPaul02

The IRS is really behind on processing and the site that says they received your return is not always properly updated.  Mail the return again and this time, make sure that the mail is sent so that you get a receipt when it is received.

silviavic96

It doesn't matter that its super late? I accidentally mailed my federal taxes to the same place i mailed my state taxes. My state taxes are processed and I got my return but they didn't forward my federal taxes to the right place.... but if they will still accept them I will try to mail it again. Thank you!

Mike9241

how do you know it got lost in the mail?  the IRS is far behind in processing returns. some which were filed in February still have not been processed. even after a return is fully processed it can take a week or two before a transcript shows up. only if you are positive the return got lost in the mail should you mail another copy. in fact if it was truly lost, you can go back and e-file. should you attempt to e-file and get reject code R0000-902, the IRS is stating they have already received and accepted a Federal return for the current tax year with the Primary Taxpayer's SSN.

silviavic96

I'm pretty sure its lost because I mailed it to my state IRS (who apparently threw them away and didnt forward them) instead of the federal IRS so they never even received it. I got my state refund already and I put both in the same envelope because I am an idiot. The only thing that is stopping me from mailing it again is if they will even receive it. 

DanPaul02

silviavic96

thank you! you're a life saver. I will do so now.