Solved: If I'm filing married but seperate and wondering i...

applebysue

If I'm filing married but seperate and wondering if I can take standard deduction as my husband files as a self employed worker and always takes tax extensions?

I cannot find out his deductions as he does not share with me and I'm filing before he does.

Don't confuse itemized deductions on schedule A with his business expenses/deductions on schedule C. They are separate. For Schedule A personal deductions, you get to take your itemized deductions or the standard deduction, whichever is larger.  Itemized deductions are things like Medical, Gifts to Charity, State Income Taxes Paid, Mortgage Interest, Property Taxes, Car Registration fees, etc.

You need to know if he is taking the Standard Deduction or itemizing his personal deductions. Nothing to do with his Business Expenses.

If he itemizes on Schedule A you have to also itemize unless you are filing as Head of Household.

Do you live together?  If you are married Joint is the best way to file even if he has a business.