Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TODAY!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I'm asked to review information that is already correct, but the software continues to loop back to the detail, how can I over-ride?

I have correctly input the state tax paid on my 1099-R but TurboTax tells me that the tax paid cannot be greater than the distribution it is only 10% tax paid, How can I e-file if it keeps sending me back to a detail that is not incorrect?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

If I'm asked to review information that is already correct, but the software continues to loop back to the detail, how can I over-ride?

Delete the 1099-R and re-enter it. If you imported the 1099-R form, enter it manually. You may missed a decimal point.   

If that doesn't work. please see the previously posted answer that may resolve your issue: 

Go back to your Form 1099-R entries and edit the one that is causing the error.  Enter the amount shown in box 1 of that Form 1099-R in box 14.  The error condition could be comparing a blank or zero value from box 14 to the amount of state withholdings which is greater than zero.  Entering an amount for box 14 should clear the error.

To revisit your Form 1099-R entries, use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)

• This opens a box where you can type in “1099-R” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)

• The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-R

• Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-R” link

This will bring you to a summary page showing all Form 1099-R entries you have made.  Click Edit beside the one you need to change.  Once you have made the change, click Continue all the way through the follow-up questions until you get back to the 1099-R summary page. Source: AnnetteB

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

These answers do not help.

I have deleted the information and re-typed by hand.

Box 1 on form 1099-R is the gross distribution, Box 14 is the state tax paid (which is not a zero number or blank, it is 10% of the total distribution.)

If I put 0 in Box 14, the software accepts the change, but I don't get credited for having paid State Tax and lose my State Tax Refund.

AS instructed, If I enter the total gross distribution from Box 1 in Box 14, I am saying that I paid 100% of my RMD to State Tax which isn't true -- but I could try it.

Since asking the question, I was able to submit the Federal Taxes, it is only the State forms that are being blocked from submission -- it would be great if I could e-file the State Taxes as well, but it keeps telling me that 329.00 in box 14 is > 3290.00 in box 1

Any other ideas?

RaifH
Expert Alumni

Is there an amount in Box 16 for the state distribution? If not, that should match the Box 1 amount. Also, if there is no information about your state in Box 15 you will need that as well since they withheld state taxes. If there is no payer's state number in Box 15, you may use the federal ID number.

For some reason, 1099-Rs have the information reversed for the state information than every other form which lists the distribution amount and then the taxes withheld. Box 14 is your tax withheld, Box 16 is the distribution amount. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies