Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I applied for an extension and received an email from Turbo Tax, is that enough to confirm my extension rather than directly from the IRS?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

If I applied for an extension and received an email from Turbo Tax, is that enough to confirm my extension rather than directly from the IRS?

If your email from TurboTax says it has been accepted, then we received that notification from the IRS.  If it says transmitted or received, then there will be another email when it has been accepted or rejected.
If you sign on to TurboTax and go to the lower left to File an Extension, it should display that you have already applied and show you the status. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, it is. Also, I don't think IRS has anything to acknowledge extension.

6 month extensions are automatic with the IRS.  Note:  it is an extension to file, not an extension to pay.  You must estimate if you owe anything and pay that with the extension or be subject to penalty which adds up fast each month.  It is based on a percentage of what you owe so if it is zero or a very small amount, don't worry about it.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

All of the emails you receive regarding 'submitted' or 'accepted' - tax returns or extensions come from TurboTax.   The IRS does not send acceptance emails or text messages.    @trusharp

See this IRS help page.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies