turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jscholl76

If I am the custodial parent, and file form 8332 this year (2017) to release claim of child exemption, do I still file as "Head of Household?"

I'm having some confusion as to what exactly I can/can't do, when I file a form 8332. Per our divorce decree, my ex and I are supposed to take turns claiming our son on our taxes. I am the custodial parent. Last year (2016) I claimed my son on my taxes, so this year (2017) it's my Ex's turn. I understand that I need to fill out the form 8332 to release my exemption for this year. However I'm seeing mixed answers about what each of us would file.

1. Do still file as head of household?

2. If I'm head of household, how would my ex file if he's NOT head of houshold, but claiming our son this year (per my release, in form 8332)?

3. I keep seeing mixed answers about if one of both of us can claim the Earned Income Credit from our child. I keep reading this:  "When the non-custodial parent is claiming the child as a dependent/exemption/child tax credit; the custodial parent is still allowed to claim the same child for Earned Income Credit, Head of Household filing status, and day care credit".  Yet in other documentation, I keep seeing that only ONE parent can claim the child for the exemption.  So if I released my claim on our son per the 8332, do I still claim him or not? I'm very confused. Can somebody please clarify for me? I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

If I am the custodial parent, and file form 8332 this year (2017) to release claim of child exemption, do I still file as "Head of Household?"

1.  Assuming you're still unmarried, you can still file as HOH - if you paid for more than half the cost of keeping up a home for yourself and your dependent child who lived with you more than 6 months.  This is true even if you sign over the right to claim the child as a dependent by using Form 8332.

2.  Assuming your ex-husband is not remarried, and assuming that he does not provide a home for another child of his own, he would file as Single.  He cannot file as HOH based on your custodial child.

3.  As the custodial parent, you can still claim the EITC even though you have released your right to claim the child as a dependent.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

21 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

1.  Assuming you're still unmarried, you can still file as HOH - if you paid for more than half the cost of keeping up a home for yourself and your dependent child who lived with you more than 6 months.  This is true even if you sign over the right to claim the child as a dependent by using Form 8332.

2.  Assuming your ex-husband is not remarried, and assuming that he does not provide a home for another child of his own, he would file as Single.  He cannot file as HOH based on your custodial child.

3.  As the custodial parent, you can still claim the EITC even though you have released your right to claim the child as a dependent.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

If you are the custodial parent where the child lived, *you* do  to file a 8332 - you fill out the 8332, sign it, and give it to the non-custodial parent who files it with his/her return.

Here are all the rules.

Custodial Parent
These are a paraphrase of the IRS rules for divorced or separated parents that live apart.

[Note: Unless the parents have been separated at all times during the last 6 months of the year, these rules do not apply.]

See “Children of divorced or separated parents or parents who live apart” in IRS Pub 17 for full information.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/publications/p17#en_US_2017_publink1000170897">https://www.irs.gov/publications/...>

This assumes that the child is under age 18 (in most states).  Once the child becomes an adult (Emancipated child), custody becomes mute and these rules no longer apply.(See examples 5 & 6 in Pub 17 for more information)

There is no such thing in the Federal tax law as 50/50, split, or joint custody.  The IRS only recognizes physical custody (which parent the child lived with the greater part, but over half, of the tax year.  That parent is the custodial parent; the other parent is the noncustodial parent.)

Who can claim the exemption and credits depends on who is the custodial parent. (By the IRS definition of custodial parent for tax purposes - this is not the same as the custody that a court might grant.).

The test that the IRS uses to determine the custodial parent is where the child lived for more than 1/2 (or greater part) of the year. The IRS will go so far as to require counting the nights spend in each household - that person is the custodial parent for tax purposes (if exactly equal and more than 183 days - The custodial parent is the parent with the highest AGI, if less than 183 days then neither parent has custody so the child cannot be claimed by either parent). And yes they are that picky.

See Custodial parent and noncustodial parent  under the residency test in Pub 17

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/publications/p17#en_US_2017_publink1000170899">https://www.irs.gov/publications/...>

Only the Custodial parent can claim: (Child would be listed as non-dependent EIC & CC only)
-Head of Household
-Earned Income Credit
-Child Care Credit

The non custodial parent can only claim: (Child would be listed as dependent)
-The Exemption
-The Child Tax Credit

But only if specifically specified in a pre-2009 divorce decree, separation agreement or the custodial spouse releases the exemption with a signed 8332 form - after 2009 the IRS only accepts a signed 8332 form that must be attached to the non-custodial parents tax return.

Note. If you are filing your return electronically, you must file Form 8332 with Form 8453, (U.S. Individual Income Tax Transmittal) for an IRS e-file Return. See Form 8453 and its instructions for more details.  This must be done within 3 days of your e-filed return being accepted by the IRS.

This does NOT mean that the custodial parent can ignore any Decree or court order allowing the non-custodial parent to claim the exemption - they can be required to issue the 8332 form. They could be required by the court to do so or be in contempt.

-----------------
Post-1984 and pre-2009 divorce decree or separation agreement.   If the divorce decree or separation agreement went into effect after 1984 and before 2009, the noncustodial parent may be able to attach certain pages from the decree or agreement instead of Form 8332. The decree or agreement must state all three of the following.

1. The noncustodial parent can claim the child as a dependent without regard to any condition, such as payment of support.
   2. The custodial parent will not claim the child as a dependent for the year.
   3.The years for which the noncustodial parent, rather than the custodial parent, can claim the child as a dependent.

The noncustodial parent must attach all of the following pages of the decree or agreement to his or her tax return.

* The cover page (write the other parent's social security number on this page).
    * The pages that include all of the information identified in items (1) through (3) above.
    * The signature page with the other parent's signature and the date of the agreement.

Post-2008 divorce decree or separation agreement.   The noncustodial parent cannot attach pages from the decree or agreement instead of Form 8332 if the decree or agreement went into effect after 2008. The custodial parent must sign either Form 8332 or a similar statement whose only purpose is to release the custodial parent's claim to an exemption for a child, and the noncustodial parent must attach a copy to his or her return. The form or statement must release the custodial parent's claim to the child without any conditions. For example, the release must not depend on the noncustodial parent paying support.

Form 8332 rules:
Attach this form or similar statement to your tax return for each year you claim the exemption for your child. You can claim the exemption only if the other dependency tests in your tax return instruction booklet are met.

Note. If you are the non-custodial parent filing your return electronically, you must file Form 8332 with Form 8453, (U.S. Individual Income Tax Transmittal for an IRS e-file Return). See Form 8453 and its instructions for more details.

This must be done within 3 days of your e-filed return being accepted by the IRS.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8453.pdf">http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8453.pdf</a>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jscholl76

Okay, so in relation to this part:  Only the Custodial parent can claim: (Child would be listed as non-dependent EIC & CC only)
-Head of Household
-Earned Income Credit
-Child Care Credit

How/where exactly, in the Turbo Tax software itself, would I list the child as a "non-dependent" - for EIC & CC Only?? I saw in the first comment there was something about using either line 6c or line 4, to list my son, but I dont have the actual Line options in the Turbo Tax software, it just asks general questions to help the software know what to input....??

And it appears that in the software, if I remove my son as the dependent, it forces me to take the "single" status and not Head of Household. So am I to assume that I do NOT remove my son from the list of dependents?

I guess what I'm really wanting to know is, what should I actually input into Turbo Tax? It  seems like if I include my son under "Dependents", then my Ex can't also do that or it will get flagged by the IRS. And if I DONT include my son under "dependents," then it changes my filing status.

Or do we both claim him as a dependent, but as long as we're including the Form 8332, its' fine?

If you are the custodial parent where the child physically lived for more than half the year (183 nights) then:

When you enter the dependent, you say that he/she is "Your child" (not you and your spouse if remarried),
he/she lived with you the whole year,
“no” the child did not pay more than half of his/her own support,
"yes", you have a custody agreement,
and "yes", the other parent is claiming this year.  

That will give you the EIC,  Child Care Credit and Head of Household filing status if you otherwise qualify.

The child would be listed as "non-dependent EIC & Dependent Care only".

The other (non-custodial) parent can claim the child’s exemption and child tax credit only and needs a signed 8332 form to do so.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

My ex husband has never ask for a form 8332 do I need to give him one anyways? He has been claiming our daughter for as a dependent every other year. If I claim EIC/Dependent care is that going to cause an audit?

Unless it is a pre-2009 divorce decree the 8332 for is required.

If he is wrongly claiming credits that he is not entitled to claim (EIC & Child Care) because he did not physically live with the child then the 2nd e-filed return that claims the same credits will reject.  

Claiming credits that a taxpayer is not entitled to claim can indeed lead to an audit requiring paying back any tax due plus interest and penalties.  The IRS will usually go back 3 years but can go back up to 7 years in some cases to collect back tax.

its post 2008. but in 2013 and 2015 I wasn't aware I could claim EIC so I didn't enter her SSN on my return at all.

You can amend 2015 to receive those credits - 2013 is beyond the 3 year limit for refunds.

Since he didn't file form 8332 is that going to cause any issues? He said he didn't claim that she lived with him? so he could have gotten the EIC.

The IRS can, but does not usually, send letters about missing 8332 forms unless two tax returns claim the same things.

Okay, Thank you.
lady8420

non custodial parent (filed married-joint) has already filed returns claiming the children as dependents (and has the 8332 form).  custodial parent is now trying to file but not sure what I am supposed to put. Can I still have children's information on return and what type of dependent would they be listed as for me? This is our first year doing this and want to make sure I am doing it correct.  I do not qualify for EIC because my AGI exceeds the limit. So filing EIC/Child Credit only does not seem to apply.  Can I still file my return electronically?
lady8420

Note- the kids lived with both parents throughout the year, however according to Tax purposes I would be custodial since they stayed a few nights more
TomD8
Level 15

@lady8420 --  If you are the custodial parent, and you paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home in which your child lived with you at least half the year, you can file as HOH - even though you're not claiming the child as a dependent.  When you enter your filing status as HOH, the program will ask for the information about your qualifying child.  You will not enter your child in the "Dependents" section.  And yes, you can e-file your return.
Note: your first comment said your spouse was filing MFJ - I assume he/she is remarried and filing MFJ with the new spouse?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies