turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What should I check on the 1099 form Section I and J for my daughter who made only miscellaneous income for acting?

What is the min. amount that can be made on 1099 misc before I have to file tax returns for my other daughter?  The only income both my kids made this year was 1099 misc.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NancyG

What should I check on the 1099 form Section I and J for my daughter who made only miscellaneous income for acting?

If either child made $400 or more in self-employment income, they must file a return of their own.

Dependent filing requirements

When other taxpayers, such as your parents, are eligible to claim you as a dependent on their own tax return, you still may need to file your own return — but you can't claim a personal exemption. You will need to file a return if your earned income is greater than the standard deduction amount for the single filing status.

However, if the total of your unearned income is more than $1,000, you need to file a return even if it is not required by your earned income. Unearned income covers all other earnings, such as taxable interest, dividends, and capital gains that aren't the result of performing services.

Special filing situations

Regardless of special circumstances, you are expected to file a tax return if you owe taxes other than income tax. These taxes include Social Security taxes, alternative minimum taxes, or household employment taxes. Other situations where you will also have to file are if you're self-employed and earned at least $400 during the year, or if you received distributions from a health savings account.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
NancyG

If either child made $400 or more in self-employment income, they must file a return of their own.

Dependent filing requirements

When other taxpayers, such as your parents, are eligible to claim you as a dependent on their own tax return, you still may need to file your own return — but you can't claim a personal exemption. You will need to file a return if your earned income is greater than the standard deduction amount for the single filing status.

However, if the total of your unearned income is more than $1,000, you need to file a return even if it is not required by your earned income. Unearned income covers all other earnings, such as taxable interest, dividends, and capital gains that aren't the result of performing services.

Special filing situations

Regardless of special circumstances, you are expected to file a tax return if you owe taxes other than income tax. These taxes include Social Security taxes, alternative minimum taxes, or household employment taxes. Other situations where you will also have to file are if you're self-employed and earned at least $400 during the year, or if you received distributions from a health savings account.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies