Solved: I would use what is reported in box 16 for each st...

When filing multiple state taxes, what is the difference between allocated income on a part-year return and state wages reported in box 16 on a W-2?

I recently moved states and the software is asking me to allocate my box 1 wages between states but I'm not sure what the difference is between what I allocate and what is reported in box 16. The sum of the amounts in box 16 does not equal box 1 also.

Here's some general guidance.  Allocation is a term that means to designate, split or assign.  When you are filing a part-year resident return in particular, amounts reported on your W-2 do not always reflect the correct income amounts actually earned in each state, so allocation screens allow for you to adjust the amounts accordingly.  Please see this FAQ for more information:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4777389

There are a number of reasons why the state amounts reported don't equal the box 1 amounts.  For more detail, please comment on what are the two states, when you moved, did you continue to work in one state while living in another, and any other detail that might be helpful.

I moved from California to Oregon at the end of June and did not continue to work in California. The allocation I did was only off by less than $100 on the Oregon side but was about $2000 off on the California side so I wasn't sure which number (the allocation or the box 16 value) I was supposed to use.

I would use what is reported in box 16 for each state. California includes a few items in taxable income, like HSA contributions, which are not taxable on the Federal level. Since the Oregon amount of income reported on your w-2 is very close to your calculation, you are safe in assuming that each box 16 amount is the correct allocation to each state.

Hi, I have a very similar situation, however, my computed allocation amounts differ significantly from what appears in Box 16 of my W2.  Is it okay to proceed using my allocated amounts, essentially ignoring the values from Box 16?  I would so, since otherwise TurboTax would just ask me for the Box 16 amounts instead of asking me to allocate, am I correct?

I would assume so*

Hi, 

I lived in PA and worked in NJ. My employer issues me a W-2, which has some taxes withheld for PA (92%) and some for NJ (8%). It means they considered me a NJ resident for sometime, while I was always a PA resident. It happened because my address in the system was not updated for sometime. 

It seems there is some treaty between PA and NJ that says that if you are a PA resident working in NJ, then you just need to pay taxes for PA and no need to pay anything for NJ. So as I am filing my taxes - (a) can I use "zero" taxable income for NJ? (b) If so, then what should I consider the taxable for PA - sum of Box16 for both states or something else? Please suggest.