turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I still need to file the injured spouse form if I filed married and jointly but my spouse had no income?

My spouse owes back child support but I'm the only one who worked this past year... will my tax return still be applied to the back child support even if they didn't have income?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaR

Do I still need to file the injured spouse form if I filed married and jointly but my spouse had no income?

I would recommend that you do file Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation.  If you do not, the IRS may take the entire refund towards your spouse's debt because you are not asking to get back your portion of the refund.  Here are the steps to file Form 8379.  Look towards the bottom where it states "What if I've already filed my tax return"

The Injured Spouse Form is filed when the overpayment on your jointly filed tax return was (or is expected to be) applied to a past-due obligation of your spouse.  Here is a TurboTax FAQ with the steps:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3326788

NOTE:   You will need to click through several pages of Innocent Spouse questions before you get to the Injured Spouse section. 

If you are filing the Injured Spouse Form on its own (after e-filing your return), you will mail it to the IRS location for your state.  Include a copy of all W-2 forms and any 1099 forms showing federal tax withholding, for both spouses.  You can find the mailing address for your location using this link (use the 'not including a payment' address):   https://www.irs.gov/uac/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

See more information below from the IRS:

IRS-Seven Facts about Injured Spouse Relief

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies