Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I would like to add info about new hvac and water heater purchased last year. Already filed for this year and it has been accepted.

I didn't see anything related to adding info about the new hvac and water heater I had to purchase in 2023 (or I missed it) as I was originally doing my taxes online. I've already filed this past Weds (Feb 7th) and it was accepted soon after.  (This is the Federal taxes I'm referring to and I believe I used the Deluxe version of Turbo Tax online.)

How do I go about adding that information and what information do I need in order to do it correctly? I've never had to do something like this before, so didn't/don't know where to start. I also am not sure if the things I purchased qualify.

I definitely don't want to mess anything up and get in trouble, but also don't want to pass up any advantage it might have for my taxes. I realize that I should have asked these questions before I filed, but .......

Thank you in advance for your help!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I would like to add info about new hvac and water heater purchased last year. Already filed for this year and it has been accepted.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

• In TurboTax, open your tax return
  • Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Deductions & Credits on top of the screen
  • Scroll down to All Tax breaks, locate the section Your Home and click on Show more
  • Click Start next to Home Energy Credits
  • Follow the interview to enter your information.

View solution in original post

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Once you are able to open your return to amend it, log in to your account, open the tax return you already filed, and click on the link to amend your return. From there, the software will walk you through the process of filing the amendment. You should have documents from the seller regarding the purchase of the energy property including the details as to how it qualifies as energy efficient.

Enter your information for the 2023 Residential Clean Energy Credit and the Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credit, by following these steps, in TurboTax Online:

1. Open or continue your return, if you don't already have it open.
  2. Select the Deductions & Credits tab.
  3. Find the Your Home section.
  4. Select the Start/Revisit button for Home Energy Credits.
  5. On the Energy-Saving Home Improvements screen, answer Yes and Continue. Follow the instructions on the next screens.
    • The first part of the interview covers improvements like doors, windows, furnace, air conditioning, and heat pumps. If you're looking for other improvements like solar, geothermal, wind, and fuel cell, just keep going and TurboTax will ask about those as well.

See the IRS Instructions for Form 5695, this TurboTax tips article and this TurboTax help article for more information and useful links. You might want to go through the entire Home Energy Credits interview to be certain.

There are times when you can't take a credit into the current year, including:

• Your income is at a level that's not taxed at all.
  • You're getting other tax credits that have reduced your tax owed to zero.

If your credit can be carried forward to next year, we'll do that for you.

Please see this tax tips article for more information about which types of home improvements qualify for either the Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credit or the Residential Clean Energy Credit for 2023.

See this tool for information about the availability of forms in TurboTax. As of now, Form 1040X for amended returns is projected to become available on February 14, 2024, subject to change.

There are times when you should amend your return and times when you shouldn't. Here are some common situations that call for an amendment:

• You realized you missed out on claiming a tax deduction or credit.
  • You accidentally claimed the wrong tax filing status.
  • You need to add or remove a dependent.
  • You forgot to claim taxable income on your tax return.
  • You realize you claimed an expense, deduction, or credit that you weren't eligible to claim.

See this article and this one for more information on filing an amended return with TurboTax.

@Norilan 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Once you are able to open your return to amend it, log in to your account, open the tax return you already filed, and click on the link to amend your return. From there, the software will walk you through the process of filing the amendment. You should have documents from the seller regarding the purchase of the energy property including the details as to how it qualifies as energy efficient.

Enter your information for the 2023 Residential Clean Energy Credit and the Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credit, by following these steps, in TurboTax Online:

5. On the Energy-Saving Home Improvements screen, answer Yes and Continue. Follow the instructions on the next screens.
    • The first part of the interview covers improvements like doors, windows, furnace, air conditioning, and heat pumps. If you're looking for other improvements like solar, geothermal, wind, and fuel cell, just keep going and TurboTax will ask about those as well.

See the IRS Instructions for Form 5695, this TurboTax tips article and this TurboTax help article for more information and useful links. You might want to go through the entire Home Energy Credits interview to be certain.

Please see this tax tips article for more information about which types of home improvements qualify for either the Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credit or the Residential Clean Energy Credit for 2023.

See this tool for information about the availability of forms in TurboTax. As of now, Form 1040X for amended returns is projected to become available on February 14, 2024, subject to change.

There are times when you should amend your return and times when you shouldn't. Here are some common situations that call for an amendment:

• You realize you claimed an expense, deduction, or credit that you weren't eligible to claim.

See this article and this one for more information on filing an amended return with TurboTax.

@Norilan 

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You will not need to include the receipts with your return.  If the IRS has any questions about your 5695 they will send you a letter requesting copies of your receipts after they process your tax return.

@Norilan 

12 Replies

Did you click that big orange button that said “Transmit my return now?”  If you did that, you cannot do anything to fix it yet.  You have to wait for the email that tells you if your return was accepted or rejected.

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.  The IRS does not allow you to take it back.

If you left out a W-2, a 1099G, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is “pending.”  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return. 

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and e-file or mail  it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

The Form 1040X you might need becomes available in late February,  But wait until your return has been processed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you for the information. I'm not worried about the tax form that I filed--everything related to that is correct to the best of my knowledge. I've used Turbo Tax online for numerous years--just have never had to or wanted to add anything afterwards.

This time, I just realized afterwards that I should have entered information about the HVAC (furnace/ac) and water heater that I had to purchase last year (and that it might be a benefit to do so). While filling in the information on the online Turbo Tax form, I was expecting to see a section like 'home improvements' (or similar) where I would be able to add the needed info--but didn't. Or just I plain missed it.  In any case, if there might be an advantage to including those two items into my tax form (even an amended version) I am willing to try.  

I'm assuming that once I've received the refund, I will be able to come back to the Turbo Tax website and use a linked form or similar to amend the filed form? In the meantime, what info will I need to have available in order to fill in the necessary section?  What is the section I should be looking for?

Thank you again for your help!

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

• In TurboTax, open your tax return
  • Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Deductions & Credits on top of the screen
  • Scroll down to All Tax breaks, locate the section Your Home and click on Show more
  • Click Start next to Home Energy Credits
  • Follow the interview to enter your information.
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

@Norilan 

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

@Norilan 

Thank you to everyone who replied! I greatly appreciate the detailed information that was provided.  (I do apologize for my delay in replying back--I work two jobs and tonight was the first chance I've had to check the website.)

I am making a note of what I'll need to do once I get the original refund. If I find that I have any more questions I'll be sure to post it here.

Thank you again!

I started into the amendment process of my federal return and found that I have another question.  I've entered the information about my new water heater and want to clarify what I enter about my new furnace and ac (HVAC).

On the form page titled 'Enter your qualified energy property costs', it has a place for Central air conditioners and other items (including the Water heaters one). I don't see a place for HVACs or for furnaces. The invoice that I have for the unit (furnace/ac) has just the one price. (Not separated into 'furnace' and 'ac' .) Should I put that total amount into the section 'Central air conditioners' even though it's a furnace/ac (HVAC)?  

I have read through the 'Instructions for form 5695' which are kind of confusing when I'm working with the Turbo Tax Online form and not a paper form.  I don't want to enter the wrong information or somehow get more than I'm entitled to.  I would appreciate any guidance anyone might have. 

Thank you for your help!

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Once you can open your return to amend it, log in to your account, open the tax return you already filed, and click on the link to amend your return. From there, the software will walk you through the process of filing the amendment. You should have documents from the seller regarding the purchase of the energy property including the details as to how it qualifies as energy efficient.

Furnaces may qualify for the Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credit.

Thank you for your reply. I did find that section of Turbo Tax online. I saw the listing of various things allowed (on the screen entitled 'Energy Saving Home Improvements'. On that screen it did list (near the bottom) 'Furnaces and hot water boilers powered by natural gas, propane, or oil'.  

In looking at subsequent screens, I did not see any further mention of furnaces. On the screen entitled 'Enter your qualified energy property costs' I did find the section for water heaters--which was below the listing for central air conditioners.  Other things were listed, but none were furnaces or hvacs.  My invoice for the HVAC (furnace and air conditioner) only has the one total for both--not listed separately for each part, so am not sure where I would enter the information I have for what I purchased.  After entering my water heater information, I even continued beyond that particular interview screen to see if there might be a spot where I could enter my other information---which I did not find. 

I would appreciate any guidance as to where I can enter the information for my air conditioner/furnace (hvac) as one thing--if I can. Perhaps this type of thing isn't something that is an allowable claim?  (A furnace AND air conditioner aka HVAC.)  If it isn't, I would appreciate that information as well. 

Once again--thank you for the information given and for any further guidance anyone might share.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

To enter your information for a natural gas furnace for the 2023 Residential Clean Energy Credit and the Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credit, in TurboTax Online:

• The first part of the interview covers improvements like doors, windows, furnaces, air conditioning, and heat pumps. If you're looking for other improvements like solar, geothermal, wind, and fuel cell, just keep going and TurboTax will ask about those as well.

Answer Yes to "Did you have any residential energy property costs in 2023?"

Continue answering the questions. When you get to this screen (see screenshot), enter the cost of a qualified gas furnace on the line for Water boilers (natural gas). 

The Learn More link next to that entry explains in more detail:

Enter the amounts you paid for a natural gas, propane, or oil furnace or hot water boilers that achieve the highest efficiency tier established by the CEE that is in effect as of the beginning of the calendar year in which the property is placed in service. In addition, oil furnaces and hot water boilers placed in service after December 31, 2022, and before January 1, 2027, must meet the 2021 Energy Star efficiency criteria and be rated by the manufacturer for use with fuel blends at least 20% of the volume of which consists of an eligible fuel.

The credit is 30% of the total costs up to a maximum of $600.

Include the costs for labor, assembly, preparation, or installation.

Thank you again! I apologize if I sound (or sounded) 'dense'--I did not realize that a gas furnace fell into the category of 'water boilers' so did not think to check in that category for information related to gas furnaces.  This is the first time I've had any type of home improvements that might qualify for entry on my taxes.

It seems that since I only have the installation cost for my HVAC (in total-rather than separately), I will need to find out the separate costs for the air conditioner as well as the furnace.  (I know that sounds very obvious, but since this is a government form I'm filling out I want to be sure this is what's expected.)

Assuming that I'm able to find out that information--that leads me to a few more questions. 

I've read through the IRS's information regarding filling out the proper form (5695) in their 'Home Energy Tax Credits'. In one of the FAQ's about how to get the credit, it says:  "Fill out IRS Form 5695, following IRS instructions, and include it when filing your tax return. Include any relevant product receipts."  If I'm amending my online return, does that mean I will have to mail in hard copies of all of those documents (the form, plus documentation showing the cost and installation dates) along with a printed version of my federal taxes?  (For the one related to the HVAC, that would have to be an itemized listing of the furnace and ac separately that also shows the date of installation--or the invoice date--which was originally about a week before it was installed I believe?)

I realize that the information regarding the actual filing of my amended return is probably included in the online version of the taxes, but since I'm not at that point yet I just wanted to know what would be expected of me.

I greatly appreciate everyone's patience with all of my questions/clarifications as I work through this new-to-me experience!

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You will not need to include the receipts with your return.  If the IRS has any questions about your 5695 they will send you a letter requesting copies of your receipts after they process your tax return.

@Norilan 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies