turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I worked as an independent contractor as was sent a 1099-MISC form. The amount i earned is less than the $12,000 standard deduction but it still says I owe over $1000.

I worked as an independent contractor for a business.  This was the only work I did all year as I am a student.  The total listed on my 1099-MISC is less than $10,000 and was the only income I earned all year.  Why do I owe so much if the amount i earned is less than the standard deduction?  Thanks. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I worked as an independent contractor as was sent a 1099-MISC form. The amount i earned is less than the $12,000 standard deduction but it still says I owe over $1000.

The $1000+ you owe is not income tax. As you surmised, your $12,000 standard deduction reduced your taxable income to zero.

What you are paying is your social security and medicare tax, in the form of "Self employment tax".

Note that all your  tax is on line 57 of Schedule 4. Your income tax, on line 11 of form 1040, is zero.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

The $1000+ you owe is not income tax. As you surmised, your $12,000 standard deduction reduced your taxable income to zero.

What you are paying is your social security and medicare tax, in the form of "Self employment tax".

Note that all your  tax is on line 57 of Schedule 4. Your income tax, on line 11 of form 1040, is zero.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies