Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

duran55km

I worked as an election official this year. Where/how do I report my earnings?

I earned $268.50. I was told that these are exempt wages where no taxes were taken out. Where/how do I report.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KatyS

Firstly, here is a link to determine if your election earnings are in fact tax exempt. https://www.irs.gov/government-entities/federal-state-local-governments/election-workers-reporting-a...

If they are taxable, the IRS considers  undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income. Enter at "Business Income & Expenses" and TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security) on any profits greater than $400.

You may have to upgrade to the Home & Business version of TT. There's a chance you may be able to use TT Deluxe or Premier. Enter your income at the 1099-Misc screen (even if you didn't get a 1099-misc). For details, see https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901317-schedule-c-ez-net-profit-from-a-business

If the income was for something other that work or services, where it is entered depends on the source. But, in general, "other income " is reported on line 21 of form 1040. In TurboTax (TT), enter at:

- Federal Taxes tab (Personal in  Home & Business)

- Wages & Income

-          “I’ll choose what I work on” Button

Scroll down to:

-Less Common Income

-Misc Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.

-The next screen will give you several choices. if none fit, choose "Other reportable Income". You will reach a                  screen where you can type a description of the income and the amount.

Bobbi35
Returning Member

Yes, I've been down that path and entered it as 1099-MISC, with no 1099-MISC form. Now I must also fill out a Form SS-8, burdensome to complete and mostly not applicable to Election Workers, but the IRS Paper Monster must be fed.  I'm using TT DeLuxe 2022.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies