sailqa17

I worked as a property manager in the USA, and did not leave the country. However my pay came from a Cayman Island bank account. How do I report this?

The company that paid me, does not have an EIN.
ThomasM125

Your income would be self-employment income from what your describe. You can report it as such in TurboTax by using the following tabs:

1. Federal
  2. Income and expenses
  3. Self-employment income and expenses

You can deduct expenses associated with the activity and your net income will be subject to self-employment tax.

sailqa17

Thank you, Thomas, for your reply.

The hurtle I am experiencing is when TurboTax asks for the EIN of the company I worked for.  Since it's a Cayman Island company, there is no EIN.  What do I do at this point?

ToddL99

You do not need to have a FEIN to report self-employment income; use the General Income tab under Business Income and Expenses to report income that is not reported on Form W-2 0r 1099-NEC. If you have tried to report under the 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC tabs, delete those entries.

Payments from a non-U.S. company without a U.S. FEIN,  would not have been reported on a Form W-2 or 1099-NEC and should not have had U.S. tax withheld (no Payer EIN, no ability to report income to IRS or withhold tax). Treat it as income by cash or check and report under General Income tab.

See: