turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dgilliver

I work in Alaska in the summer as a charter fishing boat captain and paid with a 1099 misc. what is the best way to deduct my living and transportation expenses?

I work more than  50 miles from home

Can I take a standard deduction for food and  rent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I work in Alaska in the summer as a charter fishing boat captain and paid with a 1099 misc. what is the best way to deduct my living and transportation expenses?

a 1099 would be considered as being self employed. form Schedule C needs to be filed, you would need turbo tax home and business version to complete this form. no standard deduction for food and rent. all must be entered on a schedule C. if you have a home office for this business. nd you do not have any other office to conduct this business you can use the home office deduction. form 8829. which you can quick zoom under expenses on turbo tax through your schedule C. if you qualify for home business. you would have take square footage of home. and the square footage of office used expressly and only for business. this can be input onto form 8829. the program will compute the % of home use. whereas all expenses on your home can be deducted as the % of office use on your schedule C. sounds like a pain in the neck, but once set up is fairly easy. mileage would go under vehicle expenses. and you must of a record of miles used for business. this all could be an advantage to you. but also could be highly scrutinized by the IRS.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies