Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I went to mail with a HE block office Professional, long story short, all my months and months of work itemizing and getting to mail that was online was wiped out, just

as I told them for the forth time of code IND-115-01 and I wanted to do last minute touch ups on my itemized totals and would check the numbers!  They erased all my work.  Deadline was yesterday so I
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went to mail with a HE block office Professional, long story short, all my months and months of work itemizing and getting to mail that was online was wiped out, just

this is Turbo Tax and has  no connection to H&R Block.  if their systems lost your data, there is no way to get it back here. If they can't help you recover your data,  all you can do is go thru your records to best recreate them or use the standard deduction.    

standard deduction  married - $24,000 all others $12,000 with additional amounts for being over 65 and/or blind.

to judge if your itemized will exceed the standard, take the following into account:

medical expenses only deductible to extent they exceed 7.5% of adjusted gross income (AGI)

taxes are limited to $10,000 (married filing separate $5,000)

mortgage interest may be limited and lines of credit interest may not be deductible at all

itemized deductions that in prior years had to exceed 2% of AGI have been eliminated for 2018

H and R Block is not the same as TurboTax.  TurboTax cannot get your data back.  If you want to use TurboTax software to re-do your 2018 tax return, you will need to purchase and download desktop software to a full PC or Mac.  (not a mobile device)  Online tax preparation and e-filing have permanently closed for 2018 returns, since the deadline on October 15, 2019.  If you are getting a tax refund there is no penalty for filing late.  If you owe tax due, then you need to pay as soon as possible.  Pay the amount shown on your tax return, and expect a bill for the late filing penalty and interest from the IRS later on.

Your 2018 return must be printed, signed and mailed; it cannot be e-filed. 

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return

STANDARD DEDUCTION

Many taxpayers are surprised this year because their itemized deductions are not having the same effect as they did on past tax returns.  The new higher standard deduction and the elimination of certain deductions, as well as the cap on state and local taxes have had a major impact.

Your itemized deductions have to be more than your standard deduction before you will see a change in your tax owed or tax refund.  The deductions you enter do not necessarily count “dollar for dollar;” many of them are subject to meeting  tough thresholds—medical expenses, for example, must meet a threshold that is pretty hard to reach.  The software program uses all the IRS rules that apply to the expenses you enter, and it tells you if you have enough to use your itemized deductions or if using the standard deduction is more advantageous for you.  Under the new tax laws, some deductions have been capped—there is a $10,000 limit to the itemized deductions for state, local, property and sales taxes.

Your standard deduction lowers your taxable income.  It is not a refund 

2018 Standard Deductions:

Single   $12,000  (+ $1600 65 or older)

Married Filing Separately    $12,000  (+ $1300 65 or older)

Married Filing Jointly  $24,000  (+ $1300 each spouse 65 or older)

Head of Household  $18,000  (+ $1600 65 or older)

Look at line 8 of your Form 1040 to see your standard or itemized deductions.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies