turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I went to file my 2017 taxes but could not as for some reason my 2016 was never filed. It says started when I check on it in turbo tax. I did pay and not sure why

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CathyB

I went to file my 2017 taxes but could not as for some reason my 2016 was never filed. It says started when I check on it in turbo tax. I did pay and not sure why

To check the status of your 2016 return, see below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3319882

If your 2016 return was not filed, due to the timing, you will not be able to e-file your 2016 in TurboTax. Only the current tax year information is available in TurboTax Online. To file your 2016 return, you will need to print and mail it in. E-filing is only available for the last tax year. If your 2016 return says "Started" in TurboTax, be sure to complete the return, review, then print and mail. You will then be able to start your 2017 return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
CathyB

To check the status of your 2016 return, see below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3319882

If your 2016 return was not filed, due to the timing, you will not be able to e-file your 2016 in TurboTax. Only the current tax year information is available in TurboTax Online. To file your 2016 return, you will need to print and mail it in. E-filing is only available for the last tax year. If your 2016 return says "Started" in TurboTax, be sure to complete the return, review, then print and mail. You will then be able to start your 2017 return.

Thank you, We filed 2016 early so I am not sure why it says this  "Started Federal Tax Return
Started with: TurboTax Self-Employed
Return Status: Started  from 2016
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies