Solved: I was filed as a dependent by someone, and they have already received their taxes, I cannot file mine obviously because someone filed me, so my question is can i still file, will I have to wait until

I was filed as a dependent by someone, and they have already received their taxes, I cannot file mine obviously because someone filed me, so my question is can i still file, will I have to wait until

If you can be claimed as a dependent according to the rules, check the box in your personal information for "I can be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer."  You should be allowed to e-file.  If you believe you don't meet the tests to be anyone else's dependent, you will need to print your return and mail it to the IRS.  They will eventually investigate the duplicate dependent claim.  Don't forget to also print and mail your state tax return if you have one.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
**If a post answers your question, choose it by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer".**

First, revisit the Personal Info/My Info section to verify your Social Security number (if wrong, correct it and then step through the File section to resubmit your return).

If you already verified this info, you'll need to paper-file your return as the IRS will continue to reject your attempts to e-file.

Then, if you know who claimed you, ask them to amend their return by removing you as the dependent or their personal exemption. Amendment processing can take weeks, even months, which is why it's best to paper-file your return in the meantime.

If the other taxpayer is uncooperative, the IRS will eventually contact both of you to figure out who gets to claim you. The losing party will then be liable for any additional taxes, penalties, and/or interest as a result of the false claim.

Important: If you suspect identity theft, please contact us for further investigation. Read more here.