I was divorced in Jan 2019. As part of settlement, I live in the home, and my ex is paying half the mortgage to me until my child turns 18. Is the $ taxable on me.

He is on the deed but not the loan.  Is the money he's giving me for this purpose a tax liability for me?

Does your ex still own the home (or half of it?)

It also matters if you're in a community property state, and what the courts say that money is. Child Support? Alimony? Something else?

Well, alimony is not taxable or deductible for any divorce that was finalized after Dec 31, 2018.  The only issue is who owns the property and who can take the itemized deduction for property taxes and mortgage interest.  If he is still a part-owner of the property, and pays half the mortgage, he can deduct half the interest and property taxes (if he itemizes) and you can deduct the other half (if you itemize).  If he is NOT an owner, then the payment is non-taxable alimony to you, and you can deduct all the property taxes and mortgage interest.  
Level 11 pk

You said "He is on the deed but not the loan" --- if the deed has not been modified then he is a co-owner.   and   as @Carl  mentioned  you need to be sure whether the court called this  alimony or child support  ( for future ) because  currently neither child support nor alimony is income to you but prior to 2018 alimony was income to you  ( and it may change again)

If he is on the deed, then it’s not alimony even under the pre-2019 rules. He’s paying upkeep on his own house.

Since the divorce was not finalized until 2019, that would mean he can also claim 50% of the mortgage interest and property taxes too.
Level 11 pk

🙂

Which is what I noted.  

1) It is not considered child support nor alimony. It was an independent settlement in lieu of either.

2) I live in an equitable distribution state.

Neither of those things matter.  If he is the owner (co-owner) then he is simply paying the expenses on his own property.  (The payment may technically be alimony as well, but that has no tax implications if it is or isn’t because the divorce was finalized in 2019.)

The payment is not taxable income to you or deductible by him.  But, he can take an itemized deduction for half the mortgage interest and property taxes, and you can deduct the other half.