turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

t121

I was diagnosed with ESRD in October so started receiving Medicare then. I also have a HDHP with my employer. Am I an eligible individual?

My HDHP did not end due to my disability or for any other reason, it is still active insurance.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I was diagnosed with ESRD in October so started receiving Medicare then. I also have a HDHP with my employer. Am I an eligible individual?

Once you had coverage other than an HDHP (and Medicare is an example of this), then you are no longer eligible to contribute to an HSA.

Actually, the calculation is on an annual basis, so you actually should base your 2020 HSA contribution limit on either 9 or 10 months out of 12 (9 months if you began Medicare on October 1, 2020 and 10 months if you began Medicare after October 1, 2020).

So you could contribute to your HSA for 2020, but you will not have the full annual HSA contribution limit. But in this way, it doesn't really matter in which months you actually made the contributions.

I am sure that if you indicated which months you had Medicare, that TurboTax did these calculations for you.

You added "My HDHP did not end due to my disability". Are you referring to the question at the end of the HSA interview where it asks what type of HDHP coverage did you have on December 1, 2019, and then asks if your coverage ended because of a disability? 

If this is what you are referring to, come back and say so, and I will explain what this is referring to.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rwsulli
Returning Member

I too have the same question about the plan coverage lapse. 

My wife had a kidney transplant which is covered under the ESRD Medicare, and they pay for her immunosuppressant drugs for three years, but that is all they pay for. She never had a lapse in her HDHP coverage and still has it.

How should that situation be entered? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies