turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was a full time student in 2018 until I graduated in May and I began my full time job in September of 2018. Can/Should my Dad claim me as a dependent on his return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I was a full time student in 2018 until I graduated in May and I began my full time job in September of 2018. Can/Should my Dad claim me as a dependent on his return?

It's highly unlikely that the qualifying relative rules apply.  Since you worked Sep-Dec, you probably made more than $4150.
But there is no income test  for a qualifying child. Yours is a common question. The answer almost always comes down to: did you provide more than half your own support for 2018. The support value of the home your parent provided is the fair market rental value of the home plus utilities & other expenses divided by the number of occupants. Scholarships are treated as third party support and is not considered to be support you provided. IRS Publication 501 on page 20 has a worksheet that can be used to help with the support calculation. See: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Since you were a full-time student for five months in 2018, he may qualify to claim you as a dependent. If he meets the requirements under either set of rules below, then he should claim you as a dependent.

Qualifying Child Requirements: 

• Are they related to you? The child can be your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, adopted child or an offspring of any of them.
  • Do they meet the age requirement? Your child must be under age 19 or, if a full-time student, under age 24. There is no age limit if your child is permanently and totally disabled.
  • Do they live with you? Your child must live with you for more than half the year, but several exceptions apply.
  • Do you financially support them? Your child may have a job, but that job cannot provide more than half of her support.
  • Are you the only person claiming them? This requirement commonly applies to children of divorced parents. Here you must use the “tiebreaker rules,” which are found in IRS Publication 501. These rules establish income, parentage and residency requirements for claiming a child.
Qualifying Relative Requirements:
  • Do they live with you? Your relative must live at your residence all year or be on the list of “relatives who do not live with you” in Publication 501. About 30 types of relatives are on this list.
  • Do they make less than $4,150 in 2018? Your relative cannot have a gross income of more than $4,150 in 2018 and be claimed by you as a dependent.
  • Do you financially support them? You must provide more than half of your relative’s total support each year.
  • Are you the only person claiming them? This means you can’t claim the same person twice, once as a qualifying relative and again as a qualifying child. It also means you can’t claim a relative—say a cousin—if someone else, such as his parents, also claim him.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies