turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want to buy and download Turbotax for 2016. How do I do this without going through all the questions that appear to be forcing me to complete my return online?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I want to buy and download Turbotax for 2016. How do I do this without going through all the questions that appear to be forcing me to complete my return online?

Please note below my comments about the online service this year.  The Desktop software would certainly be my choice if I had Self-Employment or other more complex filings (Schedule D complex, Schedule C, Schedule E, etc)..  All versions of the desktop software from Deluxe - Premium - Home&Business -provide exactly ALL the forms and for example allow you to file SE as Sole Proprietor, or report stock sales or capital gains and losses.  Online requires upgrade to the more expensive versions.

As for where to purchase, I would recommend NOT purchasing from Intuit now as posted as that will be the most expensive retail.  In the second week of January, Intuit typically reduces prices across the board for a short time, but the best price for all desktop products will be found online or in Costco - Costco has always had the best price and they just published their January coupons with $15 off their prices for all versions both Personal and Business-  see image.  The personal product you could use any version of desktop from Deluxe through Home&Business, or, and I don't recommend it, you could use the online but likely have to purchase the more expensive version - frankly they've changed the online market this year, and it is difficult to figure out which version to use.

I've posted images of the current Costco displays that include a state program also.  Again, in several weeks, Costco has historically provided a coupon - this year $15 off coupon off these prices.  All these versions shown in the images provide BOTH Federal and State programs - as you have to be careful because some stores sell without the state program!

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.

Costco has always had the best price and they just published their January coupons with $15 off their prices for all versions both Personal and Business.
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.

Thanks. Your answer and the comment are helpful. I've always used and accountant but now believe my life as a retiree offers the opportunity to do my own taxes with TTax. I use a MacBook Air - does this cause you any concern? I've heard that some Intuit products don't work well with Mac. Since I don't have an optical drive I need the download.

The Personal products do run on a MAC - and you then do have to find a download  - either here:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/... perhaps there are 3rd party sellers as well.

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE

- Just donating my time

Amazon also has good download prices....

If you insist on buying directly from TTX, you have to look closely at the selection page to divert to the download buying page (picture 1)

OR...go directly to the Download buying page here:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies