texas-blackdog

I want to buy and download Turbotax for 2016. How do I do this without going through all the questions that appear to be forcing me to complete my return online?

ScruffyCurmudgeon

Please note below my comments about the online service this year.  The Desktop software would certainly be my choice if I had Self-Employment or other more complex filings (Schedule D complex, Schedule C, Schedule E, etc)..  All versions of the desktop software from Deluxe - Premium - Home&Business -provide exactly ALL the forms and for example allow you to file SE as Sole Proprietor, or report stock sales or capital gains and losses.  Online requires upgrade to the more expensive versions.

As for where to purchase, I would recommend NOT purchasing from Intuit now as posted as that will be the most expensive retail.  In the second week of January, Intuit typically reduces prices across the board for a short time, but the best price for all desktop products will be found online or in Costco - Costco has always had the best price and they just published their January coupons with $15 off their prices for all versions both Personal and Business-  see image.  The personal product you could use any version of desktop from Deluxe through Home&Business, or, and I don't recommend it, you could use the online but likely have to purchase the more expensive version - frankly they've changed the online market this year, and it is difficult to figure out which version to use.

I've posted images of the current Costco displays that include a state program also.  Again, in several weeks, Costco has historically provided a coupon - this year $15 off coupon off these prices.  All these versions shown in the images provide BOTH Federal and State programs - as you have to be careful because some stores sell without the state program!

Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, Locals 718/30, retired firefighter/medic; univ faculty NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
- Strategy & Quantitative Methods Med-M&M, Law discriminatory statistics, Med & PH - epidemiology statistics;
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3
-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------No Not an Intuit Employee - Just donating my time

ScruffyCurmudgeon

USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

ScruffyCurmudgeon

Costco has always had the best price and they just published their January coupons with $15 off their prices for all versions both Personal and Business.
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3
texas-blackdog

Thanks. Your answer and the comment are helpful. I've always used and accountant but now believe my life as a retiree offers the opportunity to do my own taxes with TTax. I use a MacBook Air - does this cause you any concern? I've heard that some Intuit products don't work well with Mac. Since I don't have an optical drive I need the download.
ScruffyCurmudgeon

The Personal products do run on a MAC - and you then do have to find a download  - either here:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/... perhaps there are 3rd party sellers as well.
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3
SteamTrain

Amazon also has good download prices....

If you insist on buying directly from TTX, you have to look closely at the selection page to divert to the download buying page (picture 1)

OR...go directly to the Download buying page here:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*