Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I used TurboTax Deluxe (CD) versus the online TurboTax for 2021. I need to amend my 2021 but when I log into my account, my 2021 filing doesn't show up. Any thoughts?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I used TurboTax Deluxe (CD) versus the online TurboTax for 2021. I need to amend my 2021 but when I log into my account, my 2021 filing doesn't show up. Any thoughts?

You do not "log in" to use desktop software.   Open up your 2021 return that you prepared using the CD/download from your own computer.  Then go to Federal>Other Tax Situations.....scroll down on the screen to Amend a tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Since you used the Desktop software (CD/Download), your 2021 tax file is on the computer you used to file your return.  Your .tax2021 file would not be on TurboTax Online.

Amend a return in the Desktop software:

1. Open your TurboTax 2021 software (you must amend your 2021 return in the 2021 version of TurboTax)
  2. Select Amend a filed return, located near the bottom of the homepage
  3. Select the return you wish to amend, then Continue
  4. On the Did you already file your return? screen, select Yes, I've already filed my return and then select I need to amend my 2021 return
  5. Select Continue. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal for amended returns.
  6. On the next screen, select Update next to the info you need to change, then follow the onscreen instructions until you reach the screen Do you need to change anything else?
    • If you need to make more changes, repeat Step 6. When you’re done making changes, select Done 
  7. Carefully answer the remaining questions to finish amending your return
  8. Don’t forget to select Save As (Mac: select Duplicate) from the File menu when you save a copy of your amended return. This will preserve the tax return you originally filed
    • Name the copy you're saving so that you can distinguish it from the original, for example as 2021_amended_tax_return_Smith
  9. You can e-file your amended federal return in TurboTax, but only some states allow you to e-file your amended state return. We’ll walk you through the filing options for your state at the end of the amendment process.

Note:  Any changes you make to amend your federal return will automatically be transferred over to your state return. If you’re already amending your federal, you don’t have to make any changes to your state, unless you’re making state-specific changes.

If you want to track the status of your amended return, use the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool. Allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.

Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you filed your amended state return and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.

with the CD version, the only copy of your return is on your computer. you should save a PDF copy offline should your computer crash.  with the *****.tax2021 file, Turbotax only supports the app for 3 years. after that should you need to reinstall the app, no updates to the original will be available and the state return, if needed, will also be unavailable. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies