turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gjohnson

I used turbo tax on line to file my federal extension. I received a confirmation email but it doesn't provide a confirmation number for NJ purposes. What do I give NJ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I used turbo tax on line to file my federal extension. I received a confirmation email but it doesn't provide a confirmation number for NJ purposes. What do I give NJ?

Your state will accept your Federal extension.  The following is from your state

Federal Extension Filed
If you apply for a federal extension, you do not need to file a New Jersey extension application (Form NJ-630) as long as you meet the following conditions: 

• At least 80% of your actual New Jersey tax liability shown on your return (Form NJ-1040, Line 43; Form NJ-1040NR, Line 40; Form NJ-1041, Line 28) has been paid through withholdings, estimated payments, or other payments by the original due date of the return;
  • Your New Jersey return is filed by the extended due date together with any balance of tax due;
  • A copy of your federal extension application (or confirmation number) is provided when you file your New Jersey return.

If you meet the conditions above, New Jersey will accept your federal application for extension. However, you must file a separate New Jersey extension, Form NJ-630, if you are required to make a payment to satisfy the 80% requirement. 

Civil union partners filing a joint return must either provide copies of the federal extension application (or confirmation number) for both partners, or they must file Form NJ-630.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Your state will accept your Federal extension.  The following is from your state

Federal Extension Filed
If you apply for a federal extension, you do not need to file a New Jersey extension application (Form NJ-630) as long as you meet the following conditions: 

• At least 80% of your actual New Jersey tax liability shown on your return (Form NJ-1040, Line 43; Form NJ-1040NR, Line 40; Form NJ-1041, Line 28) has been paid through withholdings, estimated payments, or other payments by the original due date of the return;
  • Your New Jersey return is filed by the extended due date together with any balance of tax due;
  • A copy of your federal extension application (or confirmation number) is provided when you file your New Jersey return.

If you meet the conditions above, New Jersey will accept your federal application for extension. However, you must file a separate New Jersey extension, Form NJ-630, if you are required to make a payment to satisfy the 80% requirement. 

Civil union partners filing a joint return must either provide copies of the federal extension application (or confirmation number) for both partners, or they must file Form NJ-630.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies