Joe3116

I tried to add a document's 1099-int,Div,B manually instead of importing it and the TT program will not let me do it?

I have imported several documents just fine, but when I tried to change the option to add a new document information manually, TT would not let me do it.  It just returned to the "import option".  What do I need to do to add a document's 1099-int, Div, -B manually?  Also If I am able to finally to manually add this information and later the financial institution  has an import option available, can I load the import data and will the TT program recognize that and replace the manually entered data with the new imported data without duplicating anything?  Would it be safer to delete the manual data first, then run the imported version?

SteamTrain

1) You may need top exi entirely and start over...and perhaps delete the 1099-DIV you started if it shows up in the -DIV table.

2) No, if you import latter, it "probably" won't recognize it as being the same -DIV form. Every field would have to be exactly the same, and there are probably hidden file codes that mark it as being imported.  Last year an Imported document would be replaced by a new imported document if from the same account and provider...but you cannot depend on that always working.  You import, and then look to see if it was duplicated...then delete the one you don't need.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

SteamTrain