Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I tattoo but not for a company. How do I report that? On what form do I use?

1 Reply
Level 5

I tattoo but not for a company. How do I report that? On what form do I use?

If you are not an employee receiving a W-2, you will file a Schedule C as a self-employed person.  The Schedule C will flow onto your individual income tax return (Form 1040) and be netted with other personal income and expenses.

How to get to that area  While inside the software and working on your return, type Schedule C in the Search at the top of the screen (you may see a magnifying glass there).  There will be a popup that says Jump to Schedule C.  Select that to get to the general area. 

When you set up your business, you can use your own name, address, and social security number. Then, when done with the Business Profile:

  • go to Business Income and Expenses
  • select Edit next to your business (if it is there)
  • scroll to Business Income (If you didn't receive a Form 1099-MISC, you can skip past that.)
  • select that and on the next screen, you will see General Income (for tips and income received that is not on a 1099-MISC form)
  • enter a description for the income (ex. Services, or Consulting, Customer Sales) and the amount

Follow through all the areas in the Business section of the TurboTax software and it will provide you with a lot of assistance. You'll notice blue links that have more information and details about the particular sections that will be extremely helpful. 

Also, this link may be helpful to you IRS Small Business Help Center .

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings