turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

buckpa64

In NJ, a non resident withholding tax was deducted from my proceeds Where do I enter this withholding so I can get my refund when I file?

NJ withheld a non resident tax on the sale of my condo.  Where do I enter it in turbotax so I can get a refund. On the state tax form it says to enter the amount on line 49.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
WebGuy

In NJ, a non resident withholding tax was deducted from my proceeds Where do I enter this withholding so I can get my refund when I file?

I sold a house in NJ as a non-resident. Why is TT telling me I need to do a NJ return?
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Enter the NJ tax withheld in the federal return so that the withholding can be included in your federal itemized deductions. TT/New Jersey will pick it up from there.

Federal Taxes tab (this is the Deluxe version path. Premier is similar)
Deductions and Credits
I'll choose what I work on
Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
Select Other Income Taxes
Under Other Income Taxes Paid in 2018 is
Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099  <Start>
Enter the $$ withheld in the State box and select New Jersey from the dropdown

Or, in Forms Mode, open Tax Payments and in line 18a (or b or c) enter NJ in the St box and the $$ in the State column.

WebGuy

I sold a house in NJ as a non-resident. Why is TT telling me I need to do a NJ return?
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Because New Jersey gets to tax the gain on that sale since the property is located there. If it was a loss then no NJ return is necessary.
WebGuy

Thank you
buckpa64

Even with a loss, withholding tax may have been deducted from your sale. Check your closing/settlement statement for a line item showing withholding.
buckpa64

In regard to the answer to my original question, the withholding should be entered as estimated tax paid not Other Income Taxes. Your withholding was not an income tax. If you enter as Other Income Taxes TT puts your withholding on line 48 of NJ return in stead of line 49 where it belongs and where the form itself instructs you to put it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies