turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

byudean12

I retired 01/01/17 and did not pay extimated taxes for Fed or State... Does this mean that I do not get the deduction for what I will pay in 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I retired 01/01/17 and did not pay extimated taxes for Fed or State... Does this mean that I do not get the deduction for what I will pay in 2017?

No, it just means if you did not pay quarterly estimates than you get no credit for them on the current year taxes.

So you may have had taxes withheld from the pension, and you will get credit for those taxes when the pension income is entered.

If you do owe money when return is all finished, the additional taxes paid in 2018 for the 2017, maybe a deduction on the 2018 return if you itemize. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No, it just means if you did not pay quarterly estimates than you get no credit for them on the current year taxes.

So you may have had taxes withheld from the pension, and you will get credit for those taxes when the pension income is entered.

If you do owe money when return is all finished, the additional taxes paid in 2018 for the 2017, maybe a deduction on the 2018 return if you itemize. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies