Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received state disability from New Jersey is that taxable I do not have a 1099-g I have a form W-2 with money on number one for wages

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatyS

I received state disability from New Jersey is that taxable I do not have a 1099-g I have a form W-2 with money on number one for wages

New Jersey residents pay state as well as federal income taxes. The state exempts various benefits from income tax, including disability payments. Disabled residents of the Garden State still may owe federal tax, however, on a portion of their Social Security disability benefits.

State Disability Benefits:

The state of New Jersey offers temporary disability benefits to qualified residents. The benefits are paid out of employer contributions to a state disability fund. As a result, for federal income tax purposes, the IRS considers these benefits to be taxable sick pay, subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes as well as income taxes. You must report these benefits, which your employer reports on the W-2 form (instead of a 1099-G), on your federal return.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
KatyS

New Jersey residents pay state as well as federal income taxes. The state exempts various benefits from income tax, including disability payments. Disabled residents of the Garden State still may owe federal tax, however, on a portion of their Social Security disability benefits.

State Disability Benefits:

The state of New Jersey offers temporary disability benefits to qualified residents. The benefits are paid out of employer contributions to a state disability fund. As a result, for federal income tax purposes, the IRS considers these benefits to be taxable sick pay, subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes as well as income taxes. You must report these benefits, which your employer reports on the W-2 form (instead of a 1099-G), on your federal return.

My employer did not include my NJ state disability as 3rd party sick pay in my W2. They said don’t include it when I file. If and when the IRS finds out will I have a problem or will it be my employer?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

As @KatyS said, disability payments are not taxable in New Jersey so neither you nor your employer will have a problem with the IRS.

Unemployment compensation and temporary disability (including family leave insurance benefits) received from the State of New Jersey or as third-party sick pay are not taxable. Do not include these amounts on your New Jersey return.

Refer to Income Taxability

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I was referring to federal tax not state tax

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

It depends. State disability insurance is taxable if paid as a substituture for unemployment insurance.  It maybe taxable to federal but non-taxable to state.  There are some disability benefits that are not taxable such as workers compensation or VA disabiltty. You may contact your local EDD for a copy of the form, if any, or visit the website.

i think I am in the same boat. Did you find problem for your solution? Even I haven't received it in 1099G

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Disability payments are not taxable on your NJ return, according to NJ Dept. of Taxation FAQs 

To exclude NJ State Disability income from your NJ return go to the Other Wage Adjustments - W2 screen while you are in the NJ return.  Just enter the Description and Amount (as a negative number).  [See screenshot below.]

@lostinthoughts

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies