Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received short term disability (STD) from Cigna this year. I purchase the STD insurance w/after-tax $$; and my employer does not contribute. This is not taxable income, correct?

i purchase the STD insurance via my weekly pay w/ my employer. the premium is paid w/ after tax $$. My employer does not contribute to the STD insurance premium. I was on leave for 6 weeks this year and receive d the STD insurance payout. Since this insurance was not paid for at all by my employer then i do not claim the payouts as income, correct?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Patrice

I received short term disability (STD) from Cigna this year. I purchase the STD insurance w/after-tax $$; and my employer does not contribute. This is not taxable income, correct?

There is no easy answer as every circumstance is different and laws vary from state to state. Here are some general guidelines:

Short term disability (STD) payments can take one of two forms. They can be a taxable wage replacement benefit, or a non-taxable insurance benefit.

Whether a STD benefit is taxable or not depends on who is paying the premium to the insurance company.

If your employer pays the premium for the disability insurance product, than any payment you receive is taxable to you as a taxable wage replacement payment. The insurance contract is considered to be a "wage replacement" and not a pure insurance payment.

If you, the employee, purchase the insurance product with after tax money, than the payment of the benefit is not taxable income to you. The payments you receive are not considered to be a wage replacement payment.

The taxable benefit is not reported on a Form 1099. The taxable benefit will be reported on your W-2 that is issued by your employer, or reported on a Form W-2 issued by the insurer, depending on the arrangement your employer has with the insurance company providing the benefits. 

If it is taxable and reported on a W2 then it would entered in the "Wages and Income" category in the "Wages and Salaries" section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies