Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LOH2013

I received a W-2 for disability pay with an amount in box 1 but I paid the premium with post tax dollars. Is this W-2 incorrect?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnthonyJ

I received a W-2 for disability pay with an amount in box 1 but I paid the premium with post tax dollars. Is this W-2 incorrect?

Yes.  Per IRS Publication 15-A"A Form W-2 must be prepared even if all of the sick pay is nontaxable (see Box 12 below). All Forms W-2 must be given to the employees by January 31." 

The disability paid by an insurance company for lost wages, loss of limbs, loss of sight (etc.) may or may not be subject to taxes, depending on the circumstances:

• If the premiums were paid by your employer and were not included in your taxable income, the disability is subject to tax.
  • If you paid premiums out of pocket or with payroll deductions that came out of your after-tax income, the disability is not subject to tax.
  • If you and your employer jointly paid premiums, only the amount of the disability covered by your employer's payments is taxable.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies