turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a reimbursement from my employer for my healthcare premium in the form of a check, is this considered taxable supplemental wages?

I have an individual plan.  The reimbursement was paid to me in the form of a check (separate from regular paycheck) for the exact premium amount, that I deposited into my bank account and used to pay the premium directly to my provider.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

I received a reimbursement from my employer for my healthcare premium in the form of a check, is this considered taxable supplemental wages?

If an employee pays the premiums on personally owned health insurance or incurs medical costs and is reimbursed by the employer, the reimbursement generally is excluded from the employee’s gross income and not taxed under both federal and state tax law. This includes premiums for tax dependents and opposite-sex spouses. However, there are some circumstances in which the reimbursement is taxable income, including the following:

• If an employer simply pays the employee an extra amount and does not specify in writing that the amount must be used to pay the health coverage premium, it will be taxable to the employee as income.
  • If the employer is self-employed, any reimbursements for their own or their dependents’ health care costs are taxable income to the self-employed employer.

http://healthcoverageguide.org/reference-guide/laws-and-rights/tax-implications/

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies