hansonlm

I received a federal student loan refund after refinancing this summer. Do I pay taxes on the amount the government refunded to me?

JulieH1

Thank you. Since it was an overpayment on a loan you already paid then it is not income.

JulieH1

Did you use the additional amount to pay for education expenses such as tuition, room and board, book, supplies and transportation?
hansonlm

No I did not.
JulieH1

Can you please give me a few details? Was the loan forgiven?  I am not sure I understand how you got a "refund?"
hansonlm

I refinanced my federal student loans mid year with a private bank. After the transfer of the loan to the new bank was complete, I received a refund check from the US treasury department, presumably for an overpayment.
JulieH1