Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rwr

I received a cash gift from my father last year. Do I have to declare it as income?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
aharris11

I received a cash gift from my father last year. Do I have to declare it as income?

Needs to be updated for the 2018 Tax Year. Gift exclusion level is now $15,000
PeterM

The gift tax is not triggered for gifts that are $14,000 or less.

If you make a taxable gift, you must file Form 709: U.S. Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return, which is due April 15 of the following year. Even if you do not owe a gift tax because you have not reached the $5.45 million limit, you are still required to file this form if you made a gift that exceeds the $14,000 annual gift tax exclusion level. The IRS needs to keep a running tab of your lifetime exemption.

Example 1

In 2016, you give your son $15,000 to help him afford the down payment on his first house. This is a gift, not a loan. You must file a gift tax return and report that you used $1,000 ($15,000 minus the $14,000 annual exclusion) of your $5.45 million lifetime exemption.

Example 2

Same facts as above, except that you give your son $13,000 and your daughter-in-law $2,000 to help with the down payment on a house. Both gifts qualify for the annual exclusion. You do not need to file a gift tax return.

rwr

I'm a little confused. The examples above have to do with the "giver" of the gift. I'm wondering if as the recipient of a gift that exceeds $14,000 from my father if I have to report that as income?

Got many at Xmas. Cashed in next year.   Got another gift few weeks ago.    Do I have to report?   Taxes already paid on all this per giver

No.  You do not report money you received as a gift on your tax return.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

However, you can record it as nontaxable income in the Sales Tax deduction section if you qualify.

"qualify" should say "itemize."

I received a cash gift of $20,000 from my deceased father that was placed with an investment company. I removed this and was charged tax of $2000. Is this reportable income as it was a gift.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies