turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099c that I don't agree with.

I got a 1099C from a bank that has never sent me any proof that I owe the debt. I do not recognize the name of the debtor. How do I challenge the validity of the the 1099C?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

Anytime you receive a Form 1099 that you believe to be incorrect, you first have to dispute the matter with the issuer.

You should ask the bank to justify issuing the 1099-C, or issue a corrected one with "0"s in all appropriate blocks. Document your efforts, to include times, dates and names for any phone calls you make, and proof of mailing and delivery for any written correspondence.

If you can't get them to issue a corrected 1099-C, you will have to file your return by mail. Do not include the 1099-C but do include a brief explanation of why you did not report it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

Anytime you receive a Form 1099 that you believe to be incorrect, you first have to dispute the matter with the issuer.

You should ask the bank to justify issuing the 1099-C, or issue a corrected one with "0"s in all appropriate blocks. Document your efforts, to include times, dates and names for any phone calls you make, and proof of mailing and delivery for any written correspondence.

If you can't get them to issue a corrected 1099-C, you will have to file your return by mail. Do not include the 1099-C but do include a brief explanation of why you did not report it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies